Another quick one today, please excuse the slightly iffy composition but I'm (appropriately) feeling a little off this morning.
Kjeldor here is my new Nurgle Warpsmith, who will eventually be leading a Cult of Destruction. Just as Thelonius
was based on Kurtha Sedd, this guy is based on Captain Aethon, which gives him a decent amount of bulk. I cut off the extended gun arm and left off the other arm with the chainfist, as well as removing his head- I also didn't add the top plate of his armour and removed the gorget to give me a clear run at his face. The bolt pistol arm came from the bit box, and was originally off a Chaos Knight I think, with the addition of a Raptor bolt pistol, whilst the axe also came from the bit box and was attached at the glove to a standard Marine arm. This arm was also bulked out with a cable from the Kataphron servitor set.
For the head, I returned to the GW Zombie kit, going with the bearded one this time since it seemed appropriate for a Warpsmith and also quite cheerful. I filled the space behind with a length of plastic cable from an old gun. To begin to add bulk (and make it clearer that this wasn't a Cataphract suit) I also added the Chaos Champion backpack.
The Mechatendrils, which add close combat attacks to the Warpsmith and also carry a meltagun and flamer as well as assisting in battlefield repairs, posed an issue since I still haven't got around to getting a tentacle maker. After a lot of messing about dry-fitting, I decided this guy would just graft a couple of Servitors straight to his back. I stuck on a couple of Zombie torsos, and took the opportunity to up the gross-out factor by connecting the intestines of one of them to the cable around the Warpsmith's head, then extending the other end into his mouth. Yummy! The flamer arm was taken straight from the Kataphron kit and went on quite well, but I'd run out of the meltas so I cut down a Chaos meltagun and attached it to another spare arm for the other side. As a side note here, I made a point of gluing it to the armour's shoulder where it touched, as well as using the trophy tooth to attach it to the bolt pistol, adding strength to what could have been a flimsy part. I used a standard GW Zombie arm, and another Mantic zombie part since it happens to be holding something vaguely engineer-ish, for the other two arms, fitting the one going down to his head around a nice big horn.
I also found a couple of nice big exhausts in the Kataphron kit, which I added to the shoulders at the back. I cut away the lower pteruges, replacing them with a tattered Green Stuff tabard, and added a bit more bulk to the stomach, setting it off with a toothy maw which I think came from the Chaos Spawn kit. For fun, I experimented with the lash from a Sister of Slaughter as some sort of barbed tongue, and after a bit of trepidation drilled a socket for it and stuck it in. As well as distressing the lower armour and cloak a bit, I added some extra Green Stuff to the knees, and on a whim pressed Aethon's face into them, which left a weird tattered indentation that looked suitably unsuitable. More Green Stuff finished the job, filling gaps here and there and adding a bionic eye to one of the zombie-servitors, which was made by pressing a small ball of putty into the face and then flattening out the middle with the butt of one of my chunkier drill-bits.
Painting was much like my other Nurgle models, with quite a lot of Ryza Rust used.
Photography by me, all original miniatures (c) Games Workshop except one zombie arm (c) Mantic.